As many of you know, my best friend just had a baby. The little guy came into being yesterday afternoon (by the way, his numbers are 2/3/11 at 12:32…Love it!). The Boy and I got the honor of meeting him last night. So in a truly uncharacteristic moment (I may lack that instinctual maternal instinct. Eep!), I would like to tell L.G a few things that I’ve learned along the way.
Welcome L.G! I think you’ll like it here on Earth. There are a lot of really neat things, if you care to look. I wish I knew more, dear nephew, but here are a few things I’ve learned along the way:
1. Legos don’t belong in your nose
2. If they say, “Stop, you’re going to hurt yourself.”- Please listen.
3. “Trust me, I know what I’m doing” usually means you’re about to get hurt.
4. If you hear your mom’s voice in your head- go with what she’s telling you. She knows a lot more than you realize.
5. Wear sunscreen even though it feels ucky.
6. Ultimately, the people who will always support you are your family and those couple friends that you’ve adopted as part of your life. Everyone else is in your life for a reason or a season- only those few people will be there through it all.
7. Ice cream melts really quickly. Buy one scoop at a time. If you want more, then go get another cone.
8. Nice guys don’t finish last… it just takes longer for them to get what they deserve. Be a nice guy, L.G.
9. No kindness is ever forgotten. Sometimes the kindnesses get collected together in the universe and work to make things better. You’ll never know what a kind word does for someone, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t strive to give them each day.
10. Real guys ask for hugs.